Sunday, October 9, 2011

wicked witch temper tantrum

I threw a tantrum in the grocery store. A tantrum, like. a. child. No, there was no audible screaming or visible stomping.

It went something like this:

Kyle: "Your (cardigan) buttons are out of line. Let me fix that for you."

me: "No. I don't care. I'm angry."

Kyle: "Why are you angry?"

me: "I will not straighten my (cardigan) buttons until my child is safely home."

Kyle: "I can be your punching bag, if that's what you need."

And the wicked witch melted.

I'm thankful to have a husband who knows how to calm me down in my moments of insanity.

This tantrum came after a long, busy week followed by an action-packed weekend at a women's church conference, and a conversation about delays in our adoption process, such as the facts that we haven't yet officially settled on a country, and that it might take three months for Alabama to process our background checks. THREE months?!?

So yeh, I was feeling angry, but mostly I'm just tired, and fatigue can lead to all kinds of impatience and temper tantrums, in children and adults alike.

Through the sermons and the hymns and the talks and the booths at the women's conference this past weekend, I was reminded again and again of the orphans around the world. And among those orphans is MY child, who is NOT an orphan. She or he is MINE already...just not home yet.

The pastor this morning spoke about Romans 8. He said, "If you're in Christ, you're as adopted as you're ever gonna be. It's just not yet manifested." We're not waiting until Jesus returns to be part of His family. In the same way, our child is already as adopted as he or she will ever be. He or she doesn't have to wait until we get there to be part of our family. That child is already ours.

In speaking about waiting on the Lord, the pastor also said, "Waiting with patience is the opposite of freaking out. (We should be) living by faith, not by sight...(knowing that) this is what Jesus is going to do." Uh-huh. No freaking out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment