Friday, November 11, 2011

waiting on a referral

After our application was processed with the adoption agency for India, I asked the agent to send us any available referrals for adoptable orphans. She doesn't have any right now, and that's good, because that means the ones she had before have been chosen by other families, and will soon be on their way home, but I was hoping to see my kid's face, and now I will have to wait.

Honestly, it's probably better for my heart not to have a referral yet, since our home study is nowhere near finished, so we aren't yet eligible to apply for the grants we need to get the money to start the actual adoption. When I read the email from the adoption agent, telling me the next step with that agency is to send in our first installment of $5,000, I just laughed. "OK," I thought, "Talk to you next year, then." :) Oh don't worry, God will provide the money. But it will take time.

We are so thankful for the nearly $1,200 already donated toward our adoption, and that's not counting our adoption's share of the money that's been flowing into the church adoption fund because of the quilt square fundraiser. Last Sunday was Orphan Sunday, and so many people were willing to help out by donating quilt squares and buying stationary. It's humbling to see other people sacrificing in order to help us bring our child home. I hope she will one day understand the great love already being poured into her life.

The next step is finding a day we can take a few hours off work to go down to the police station and get fingerprinted for the FBI. Sounds like we're under criminal investigation, right? This is all to prevent criminals from adopting sweet little children, so I don't mind so much. I'd rather be inconvenienced by child protection policies than have those policies not in place at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment