Saturday, February 11, 2012

Not Alone

I like to think of myself as an independent woman.

My friends and family know that I can belt out Eliza Doolittle's song, "Without You" with as much fervor as any self-respecting woman, at any given moment...but I don't really mean it.

There are plenty of things I can do and have done on my own, by myself, without my husband.

But believe it or not, there are some things I would rather have him there for. 

For example, I would rather not have to make the bed, duvet cover and all, without Kyle. It's just easier when he's there to help. Also, I do not like cooking without Kyle. There seems to be no point.

I love my husband. I love his company. I married him because I want him to be part of my life, every part of my life, especially the big things, especially the small things, especially everything!

You might be wondering what this has to do with adoption.
 
Deployment. We have heard that he will probably be deploying this summer, which means he may not be with me when it's time to travel to India to adopt our daughter.

Of course, the Eliza Doolittle in me says I can (and will!) travel to India without my husband, but that is NOT my preference. That would not be ideal. I do not want him to miss that. Traveling to India to get our daughter is too important.

So just in case the Army asks, I'm mad.

Thankfully, this news is not surprising to God. He knew this would happen, and He knows why, and He's been preparing us and designing our circumstances.

We have already begun to develop friendships with several other couples who are adopting from India and will probably be traveling around the same time, so I don't have to be alone...

...not that I would be, anyway. I should know that by now.

Because I've been especially anxious the past two weeks, I have had my students memorizing God's promises from Isaiah 43:1-3, and we have been learning the words set to music. It's been good to listen to these words, tell the stories of God's protection, and talk through these things with a bunch of little boys.

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you, I have called you by name. You are Mine..."

These promises are for you, for me, for my husband, and for our daughter, "Anna."
I am so thankful.

Next week, I am having the kids memorize Jeremiah 29:11, because I need to remember, too.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment