Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bringing Home a Five-Year-Old

How many times have I secretly wished to adopt one of my five-year-old students as my own child? As I think about our "Anna," I remember my favorite kindergarten students, the ones who I really wanted to mother. I love that age. I can't wait to have a five-year-old in our house.

We're going to have an art area for her in her bedroom. I wonder if she likes art? Well, she will. I hope. I'm going to set up a canvas and give her a box or drawer full of crayons, markers, oil pastels, watercolors...

And there will be beanbags in her room, and bookshelves full of all the best books. We will read to her constantly...maybe while she paints? Or maybe all curled up at bedtime. Will she want to cuddle with us? Or will she be scared of us?

And she will never go to school hungry or dirty or under-clothed. Her teachers might want to take her home because she's charming and cute, but they will never have to worry about her well-being again.

Already, I'm longing to adopt more than one. Can't they just let us pick up several children while we're there to get Anna? Her name is not really Anna. But we're calling her that. For now. We can't post her real name yet. But we will...oh, we will.

1 comment: